Reflective Essay Writing: Important Tips
Doing a reflection in writing requires skill. The idea is to bring out thoughts and emotions of your experiences with something or an event in a meaningful way. Therefore, it will be important to understand the requirements before doing anything. For every essay, there has to be a topic. Your reflective essay should therefore be guided through a specific course by your chosen topic.
A reflective essay is written to share personal views, thoughts, opinions, emotions and ideas concerning a certain event or topic in question. However, they must be backed up by tangible truths drawn from credible sources of information. The idea is not to present an argument but to make it solid and count through reliable facts and information.
Writing Approach to Reflective Essays
As you prepare to write your essay, look into interesting things that will win the attention of your audience. There are a lot of things to look at when writing a reflective essay. Most importantly, you should be well-knowledgeable about the topic of your choice. Here is what you need to do:
- Write the topic. Brainstorm your topic options and settle for a topic that is well-known to you. You cannot reflect on something that is not clear to you. Therefore, you should be able to state the background of the topic and introduce it to your reader before sharing your thoughts on the same.
- Collect enough information. Reflecting on anything requires sufficient information from where to pick your talking points. Therefore, ensure that you have mastered your chosen topic and are ready with enough information to pull you through the writing process. This will help you write seamlessly without getting stuck on the way.
- Pick credible sources. Even when doing a reflection on a certain subject, your thoughts should not override facts on the ground. Therefore, it is good to have credible information sources that will be used to cement your thoughts. Without them, your essay will only be hearsay and unfounded. However good your points and ideas seem, they will not amount to anything unless backed up by research and quality sources.
- Develop an outline. An essay with a proper outline is all you need to capture all the details. Your essay outline must include an introduction and background information of what you will be writing about, the body of presenting arguments and facts and then a conclusion on your discussions.
- Prepare a list of items to guide you in your discussion. There will be a lot of information needed to make your case. Therefore, these will be your talking points throughout the writing process. Make sure the points are clear, with basic notes to each one of them.
As you prepare to write your reflective essay, always remember to focus on the objectives. Doing a reflection requires that you understand what the essay demands and the approach to take to make your essay count. Therefore, it will be good to make sure that you have everything at your fingertips before writing this type of essay.